Friday, December 3, 2010

Cave man

<rant>So I recently got into those show "House Hunters" on HGTV.  And I mean, like, into it - I've watched at least 20 episodes in the last 4 days.  I watched two episodes last night, but had to turn it off partway through the second because I was getting too riled.  The reason: man caves.

I have just discovered that I find this phrase and idea fairly offensive.  On each of the shows I watched last night, both husbands expressed their need for a spot for their man cave in their new home, and were willing to sacrifice a lot to get the perfect "man cave" space.  The second guy was so absurd and kept being dismissive of these amazing houses, that were perfect in every other way, because his cave wasn't going to be big enough.  At no time did either of the women express a need for their own room or private area of the house.

I don't understand where this theory came from that men deserve their own special place in the house where women are not quite welcome.  But I do not care for it.  I have never considered myself a very vocal feminist, but something has snapped.  Down with man caves, sister suffragettes!</rant>

No comments:

Post a Comment