Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Creepy Christmas

My least favorite holiday song is the classic "Baby, It's Cold Outside."


For a long time I thought I was the only one who found this song disturbing and predatory.  But thanks to the wonder of the interwebs, I have found a slew of people who feel the same.  It's nice not to feel alone.  But seriously.  The male part in this song is outright refusing to let the female part leave his house, no matter how many times she insists or tells him that "the answer is no."  Creepy.  It doesn't even have anything to do with Christmas - why must this song be played so often?

The runner-up, is of course, the delightfully absurd "Christmas Shoes."  But this song is so ridiculous, that I think I actually get great enjoyment out of it.  They made a TV movie out of it, for Pete's sake.  Rob Lowe, you are better than this.


Oh, this song just makes me laugh.  But what about you, dear readers - are there any songs or holiday movies that you find creepy or extremely irritating?  I don't know if there are any other songs about date rape like good old "Baby, It's Cold Outside" but I'm sure there are equally inappropriate topics.

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha Josh literally told me last night how creepy and date-rapish he felt that song was. How appropriate!

    ~Kelly O

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part: "Say, what's in this drink" - um maybe a roofie?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just after I read this post I saw a movie ad on AMC and they started singing this winter song, "Snow" where a woman said a few times she wanted to wash her hands, face, and hair in snow...WTF, why would you do that?! Thank you for pointing out how this particular holiday/time of year can lead to completely ridiculous songs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki, that song is in 'White Christmas.' It is indeed ridiculous. As is the whole movie - they have a long discussion about liverwurst sandwiches and buttermilk. Not good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim tried to put on White Christmas last night after I finished exams and I just started yelling about stupid songs and sandwich discussions...set him straight, so thanks for the info :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh GROSS the liverwurst sandwich milk part grosses me out so much.

    Also Christmas Shoes is so terrible that it IS enjoyable. I have no words for the movie part.

    I'm over Dominick the Donkey and Feliz Navidad.

    ReplyDelete