Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday Book Review

Since my last review I have finished 3 books and am currently reading 2 more:

The Necklace: Thirteen Women and The Experiment That Transformed Their Lives

I read this book for the book club I will be attending in Puerto Rico with my mom and one of her friends, so it is not necessarily a book I would have chosen to read on my own.  But it was a quick read and I enjoyed it.  It is a non-fiction story of 13 women in California who chipped in to buy this crazy expensive diamond necklace together.  The woman were loosely acquainted at the beginning, and the story talks about how sharing the necklace affected each of their lives.  Mostly it discussed how important it is to have girlfriends, especially as you get older and have families and a million things that take up your timeAnd that is something I believe to be true at any age.

One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original)

One of Entertainment Weekly's picks for the best books of 2010.  It was an interesting set-up in the it followed two people's lives and relationships with one another through writing about their days on one particular date, the date they met in the mid 80's, over the course of 15 or so years.  It was easy to track the ups and downs they'd encountered over all the previous days in the year and to see how their relationship changed.  I thought it was a good, quick read and alternated between sad and humorous, but I did foresee the ending.

 The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke

I have always been kind of really into saving money and preparing for the future.  I started discussing my nest egg when I was 13 or so.  But it's something I needed to learn more about as I start planning for my future with my husband.  I knew the goals I wanted to reach and the things I wanted to do, but I wasn't sure where to start.  So I'm really enjoying this book, which I didn't think I was going to.  It's specifically written for my age group and offers clear advice on how to tackle money issues from getting out of credit card debt, to paying off student loans, to saving for a house and starting to think about a retirement fund.  I know that doesn't sound crazy fun, but it's been a really useful tool so far and is helping me put a plan in place.  Just today I increased my contributions to my 401(k) and opened an IRA account!  Woo, responsibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment