Wednesday, February 2, 2011

January Book Review

I  have been getting a lot more reading in already this year as I have been taking the T more due to the snow and that allows me a good 2 hours with my book a day.  I have set up a second page on the blog so you can see what I've recently read as well as what I am currently working on.  And I'd love to hear if you have read anything great lately - I can even have a guest blogger book review!

These are the two books I finished in January:


Assassination Vacation, Sarah Vowell - This book is enthralling, I cannot put it down, which is odd for me and non-fiction books.  The book discusses the author's research of the first three presidential assassinations - Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley - and goes on a pilgrimage of sorts to see the artifacts of these assassinations.  It is kind of a bizarre topic, but gosh, she knows her history and I have learned so much.  She draws connections between the politics of those days of yore to modern times and now I really want to go around to see all of the historical places she talks about.  The author has a very quirky sense of humor and is very engaging.  This is not at all a dry history retelling, but is sprinkled with anecdotes and observations and I just could not put it down.



Peony in Love, Lisa See - I have read a number of books by Lisa See including Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and, more recently, Shanghai Girls.  I loved both of these books and really enjoyed reading about such a different culture.  These books talk about different times in Chinese history and give a lot of insight into the lives of women during those times.  Peony in Love was not my favorite.  The main character dies about a quarter of the way through the book, which then goes on to discuss her life as a spirit and the interactions she has with the human world.  I don't mind fantastical elements in my literature, but I never felt like this book decided what it wanted to be and it did not resonate with me.  But if you're a fan of Lisa See's work, it's a quick read and certain aspects were very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment