Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Need to Clean

This weekend, a few of my favorite people from Long Island are coming up to visit us, which makes me happy for many reasons, but importantly, it gives me incentive to clean.  I'm not, uh, how you see, neat, most of the time, so it's good when life gives me a reason to pick up my junk.

However, an experience two nights ago gave me additional incentive.

Picture it - Ray and I are asleep at about 3am when suddenly - Bam - I'm awake.  I don't know what woke me, but I do know I have a tendency towards an overactive imagination that often exaggerates the worst thing possible.  While I look around trying to make sure everything is all right, I become convinced that there are 3 or 4 intruders sitting on the floor next to my bed.  I became paralyzed.  Part of my brain knew that it was absurd that people were sitting next to my bed, but I just couldn't figure out why that was so absurd.  I was so sure I could make out (fuzzy) details of the people.  I went back and forth regarding waking Ray but a.) I really felt like I couldn't move and b.) I was sure that the noise he would make on being woken up would provoke the people on the floor.

At least 10 minutes passed while I tried to convince myself that I was being ridiculous.  And then suddenly, it either got a bit brighter in the room or my eyesight miraculously improved but I realized what the "people" were: piles of clothes and books.  My desk chair.  The crate that holds my winter clothes.  Released from the spell, I could finally relax and went back to sleep.

I think maybe it might be a good idea to clean up those piles so I don't give myself cardiac arrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment