Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Elevator Etiquette #1


So someday, I'm going to teach a class on elevator etiquette.  It will be part of a series that might go on to discuss escalators, or even moving walkways (just stay to the right if you're not going to be walking, guys).  But I feel very strongly about how people should behave in elevators and I unfortunately spend a lot of time fuming over this topic.

The main issue I have been fixed on, is a new phenomenon for me.  While I have seen it happen elsewhere, rarely does a week go by at work that I do not encounter it.  "It" being I get on an elevator, someone gets on after me, and they don't push a button.  I work on the top floor of my building - there's nowhere else for them to go.  Once we get to my floor, they laugh likes it's the funniest thing in the world and press the button for their floor and go back down.  But this happens every week!  With different people!  There are supposed to be really bright people at this Institution.  I just don't understand this at all.  At least ask me to push the button for your floor for you.

Argh.  I'm getting riled.  Elevator Rule #1 - Make sure the button for your floor is pressed.  I'd hope this would be a commonly known axiom, but I guess we have to start at the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Ack, I hate that, I always feel like people are being creepy and following me to my floor.

    Can you also write a guide on T etiquette? I could write a novel on that! # 1 being - wait for people to get off before you barge on! Actually, that could go under elevator etiquette as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting back to moving walkways/escalators, the etiquette should be to stand on the side of the road you drive on. So the right in the US, but the left in some other places.

    ReplyDelete